Seasonal Watch for Spring Flooding: Rise of water levels and flows on the Des Prairies and Mille Îles rivers. To learn more about the state of the rivers, consult the page /typo3conf/l10n/fr/rtehtmlarea/Resources/Private/Language/fr.locallang_accessibilityicons.xlf:external_link_new_window_altTextSpring flooding, Ice and Floods of Ville de Laval. 

Flooding caused by major rain fall can increase the risks of injury and drowning. It can also cause various health problems:

  • Ouvre un lien interne dans une nouvelle fenêtreCarbon monoxide poisoning from the improper use of fuel-burning appliances when the power goes out.
  • Ouvre un lien interne dans une nouvelle fenêtreGastroenteritis from contaminated water or food. 
    • In case of power outages, know what to keep and what to throw in your fridge. To do so, consult this /typo3conf/l10n/fr/rtehtmlarea/Resources/Private/Language/fr.locallang_accessibilityicons.xlf:external_link_new_window_altTextweb page (in French only). 

  • Ouvre un lien interne dans une nouvelle fenêtreRespiratory problems from mould.
  • Psychological problems:
    • Stress for people who have been flooded and for volunteers and workers supporting them.
    • Depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Tips to avoid health risks during and after flooding:

Ressources available to the population

  • In case of crisis or difficult situation: 811, option 2.
    Qualified psychosocial counselors are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to answer your call. They can support you, advise you, give you information or refer you to the appropriate resources in the region.
  • In case of non-emergency health problem:
    • 811, option 1.
      Dialing 811 can quickly reach a nurse in the event of a non-emergency health problem. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Info-Santé 811 nurses provide advice and can answer questions about health.
    • Family medicine group (GMF) or Super clinics.
      Before going to the ER, remember that you have /typo3conf/l10n/fr/rtehtmlarea/Resources/Private/Language/fr.locallang_accessibilityicons.xlf:external_link_new_window_altTextother options to get advice and care for your situation.

  • For assistance in securing a residence: contact your municipality.
  • For any situation where the safety of persons is immediately compromised: 911.

Learn more