How do I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless and colourless—but poisonous—gas.  Since you can’t see, feel or taste it, CO can harm you and your family before even know it is there. Even low exposure to CO can cause serious health problems. All fuels can produce CO when they burn: propane, heating oil, natural gas, kerosene, gasoline, wood, coal, diesel, etc.

Equipment and vehicles that burn one of these fuels therefore produce carbon monoxide. When these vehicles and equipment aren’t running well, are used improperly (i.e., in a poorly ventilated area), or are not maintained, the amount of carbon monoxide produced can be hazardous to your health and even life-threatening.

Stay safe from carbon monoxide on vacation

Whether you’re at the cottage, on a fishing or hunting trip, off in the camper, or tenting in the woods, make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector with batteries and check that the detector is working.

Make sure that you use fuel-burning appliances correctly and that you properly maintain them.

Learn more